SSMC ALUMNI ASSOCIATION

Welcome to the official website of the Sir Salimullah Medical College Alumni Association!

Established with a vision to create a strong and interconnected network of graduates, our association takes pride in nurturing the bonds formed during the years spent at Sir Salimullah Medical College. As esteemed alumni, we are united by a shared commitment to excellence in the medical field and a passion for making a positive impact on global healthcare.

About

SSMC Alumni Association

The goal of the SSMC Alumni Association is to foster a strong community of Sir Salimullah Medical College graduates, promoting networking, professional growth, social impact, celebrating achievements, facilitating lifelong learning, reconnecting and reuniting alumni, and encouraging global collaboration for the betterment of healthcare worldwide.

0
ESTABLISHED
0
MEMBERS
ssmcaa

Featured Events

National Victory day

SSMC Day 2023

APA Blood donation day

Monthly committee Meeting

quotes

What Our Members Say

Let’s quickly review the opinions of our members regarding the SSMC Alumni Association committee and their fondest memories of college life at Sir Salimullah Medical College.

it's a tapestry of shared memories, aspirations, and a collective determination to make a difference in the world of medicine.
Dr. Md. Jamal Uddin Khalifa
President
In the journey of lifelong learning, we find ourselves not just as mentors but as eternal students
Prof. Dr. Belayet hOSSAIN kHAN
Member Secretary
As we gather here, we celebrate not just our accomplishments but the spirit of giving back.
Dr. Rustom Ali Farazi, MP
SSMC 1st Batch
In our pursuit of excellence, we find strength in unity.
Dr. hbm iqbal
SSMC 1st Batch
ssmc alumni aSSOCIATION

Other Events

LET’S TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT OUR OTHER ALUMNI ASSOCIATION EVENTS.

 

Let's Make it Memorable!

If you have any feedback feel free to suggest us anything

Get In Touch With Us!

Phone

+8801711986510

Email

ssmcaa@gmail.com

Address

Dhaka

Send a feedback

FOUNDATION OF MITFORD HOSPITAL AND DACCA MEDICAL SCHOOL

The best examples of diffusion of knowledge towards the peripheral areas are the Dacca Medical School and the Temple Medical School. Through the amiable history of these institutions, the contemporary social aspects of medical education other than the core areas like Calcutta could come out. Interestingly the story behind the foundation of a medical school in Dacca was different from the other medical schools established in 1870s. Student accommodation difficulty in CMC was not the sole reason to give birth of Dacca Medical School (DMS). The situation in which it was born is noticeable here.It was also the socio-economic, geographical and of course the cultural forces which morally help edit. In this regard one should remember that the consciousness of the native people played an important role. Therefore there was a both sided pressure for a new medical school; Government wanted to release the added burden from CMC and the people demanded better educational opportunity which would be more convenient to them. But even before that the premise of western medical treatment among the people was already made by the Mitford Hospital in Eastern portion of Bengal. It might be an incomplete history, if this paper would discuss the history of DMS without the history of Mitford Hospital.Mitford Hospital, the ever large-scale health institute in a western sense in the eastern portion of Bengal, was established on the first of May, 1858, Dacca.

FOUNDATION OF DACCA MEDICAL SCHOOL
 
Prior to the introduction of the western mode of medicine, the Hakims and the Kavirajs were the sole refuges of public health issues. Even in 1830s, there were nine Hakim families and sixty nine Kaviraj families in Dacca city only. It is easily understandable that in spite of the introduction of the western medical system, a big portion of the people showed their dependency and trust on the indigenous mode of treatment. But by contrast from very early stage of the introduction of Western medicine in Bengal, a large number of people had been showing their interest on western medical education also. For instance, among the Indian students of CMC a notable portion was from Eastern Bengal, especially from Dacca. It is earlier mentioned that the vernacular course in Calcutta was in all respect inferior to the main course of CMC. Here the point is, in spite of all these back draws of the Bengali course, the students of Dacca were used to admit themselves there only. If anybody examines the reason behind this, could understand one very simple but most important angle. First and foremost, their consciousness guided them to obtain better education in Calcutta. But financial ineptitude of the majority of the populace deprived the new generation from quality medical education in CMC. On the other hand, the distance from Dacca to Calcutta and the geographical obstacles due to the presence of huge number of big rivers kept the majority of the inhabitants aloof and indifferent from the facilities of Calcutta. Thus felt the need for a new option in this side of this presidency. Here a question comes that despite knowing the fact that Bengal Presidency was area wise a big province, the facilities of education were not necessarily spread out. Till 1916 there was only CMC, which alone had the supreme authority to make doctors with Honors degree.Gradually, medical schools were established in some places like Patna, Dacca and Cuttack. It is noticeable that Dacca was the city where not onlyt he people of East Bengal but the people from Assam and Tripura also used to come for job,education health treatment etc. But the opportunities were not up to the mark. Dacca Prokash published in 1863 that in this crisis moment Dacca really needs a medical educational institution to give the local students good opportunity. Civil Surgeon of Dacca and the Magistrate supported this proposal. They added that according to necessity and utility the course and curriculum of this institution should be restricted to a preliminary level. But this plan was adjourned up to 1873. In this year, when there was an outburst of pupils in the CMC, Lieutenant Governor Sir George Campbell (1871 – 1874) announced the foundation of two new medical schools in Patna and Dacca along with the Campbell, Medical School in Calcutta. According to Campbell the Dacca Medical School (here after DMS) would be able to serve one crore and thirty lacks of people of East Bengal and Assam. The course, curriculum, mode of instruction and the amount of fees of this new school were fixed as it was prevalent in the Bengali Class in CMC. After a three years course the students would be permitted for private practices. In 1875 the Calcutta Gazette (14thApril) published an article on the syllabus of the DMS. It was like this(Table 1).
On 9thApril 1875, the Bengal Government officially declared the foundation of Dacca Medical School. Dacca Prokash wrote that not only the whole city but even the people of remote places of East Bengal would be affected by this decision. Fifty four students from Campbell Medical School (Calcutta) were transferred to DMS. The Bengal Government gave fifteen more free students for the first year. It was decided that the students should pass the examinations like Vernacular Scholarship, Minor Scholarship or the University entrance Examination. In the first year the school admitted 384 students. In the year 1877-78 the number of students fell into 143, while in the previous year it was 24745. There was no explanation from the authority, but according to the General Report of Public Instruction the cause was due to the fact that a second year class of 169 in 1876-77 had dwindled to a third year class of 65 in the year under report. The monthly fee was three Rupees. The classes were taken in a local school. The Normal Surgeons were appointed as professors. They were Dr. Kashi Chandra Dutta (taught anatomy and surgery), Dr. Surya Narayan Sinha (taught medical jurisprudence and therapeutics), Dr. Durgadas Roy(taught medicine and midwifery) and Dr. Priyanath Bose (taught material medica, pharmacy and elements of chemistry)46. The first three had a salary of Rs 250 while the last had a salary of Rs.100 only. Besides them, there were two demonstrators for anatomy, two helpers for the professors of anatomy and material medica and a clerk.There were tests for the students at each year after the sessions were over. The eligibility criteria for the final examination in the third year were; Students who had not attended more than one fourth of the numbers of total lectures were not eligible of attending the tests; Students who had missed more than one eighth of the total classes taken in the Mitford Hospital would not be permitted to attend the tests; Students who could not dissect corpses satisfactorily (every student had to dissect the first twelve of the total thirty two dissections) were not eligible for the tests and slackers were strictly prohibited. Finally the students with less than 50% marks were considered as failed. Unfortunately, between 1875to 1879, the medical school admitted 526 students and out of them only 84 did manage to pass(Ahamed, 2007)48. The next ten years statistics of students’ admission and the pass rate are like this(Table 2). Before the permanent building of the medical school was to be made, the Government proposed a temporary building with the two lecture theaters (each spacious enough for two hundred students), a museum, a laboratory, a library and a room for the Principal. There were also proposed
rooms for dissection and post-mortem with capacities of four hundred and one hundred and fifty respectively. By 24thAugust 1889, the permanent building for the Dacca Medical School was built. It was mainly funded by donations both public and private ones. People of Eastern Bengal donated the sum of Rs. 64,000. The Raja of Bhawal, Rajendra Narayan gave Rs. 20,000; Raja Suryakanta Acharya of Maimansingha donated Rs.10,000; the Zamindar of Dacca Babu Raghunath Das donated Rs. 15,000. In this way there were plenty of donations for the new medical school.DMS became Dacca Medical College in 1st July, 1946.
Written by Romel Sarwar
Just three months after its establishment Queen Victoria took over the rule of India from the hands of the East India Company. Born in this historical year, Mitford Hospital itself turned to be a historical landmark in forth coming days. Dacca, a tattered city, holding back the last faint rays or even none of its former glorious days, was reigned by hunger, impoverishment and malignity. Most of the local crafts got extinct orin the verge of becoming extinguished since theEast India Company’s regime set forth and the ‘drainage of wealth’ had begun. This nullified jobs, money and food gradually made Dacca an inferno(Dani, 1962, pp.1-24). The British having found Dacca terribly unworthy of residing immediately felt an urge to establish hospitals over there.In 1803, the first hospital in Dacca, the‘Native Hospital’ was founded as a branch of Native Hospital of Calcutta. The Government allowed a grant of Rupees 150 per month for the hospital. To make the hospital thrive local tycoon sand some other Europeans donated the sum of Rupees 20,000. This was created chiefly for the poor, so that it was not capable of serving a good number of patients. James Taylor, a British Civil Surgeon, remarked in his A Sketch of the Topography and Statistics of Dacca about the condition of the hospital in 1830s that the hospital could only keep forty patients at a time. It had an864 sq. feet ward and two 8 feet broad verandas.An average of 2160 patients got admitted to the hospital every year. This condition did not fit with the purpose of the establishment of such a hospital exclusively for the poor people. The only good thing was that with the initiation of Magistrate,Mr. Henry Walter and Mr. J Grant the department of dentistry and the outer ward had opened recently. Interestingly the major portion of the patients were ‘beggars’, ‘incapable men’,‘strangers’ ‘boatmen and helmsmen’ etc and they came from more or less different village areas.Here the most noticeable part is the terms used by James Taylor about the class composition of the patients and their trend of origin. It proves several things. First of all, the poor condition of public health of these places other than the city areas like Calcutta. It was under developed and neglected. Secondly, the major portion of the patients of the hospital was from poor and uneducated background. Now the question comes that whether the treatment procedure of the educated and relatively affluent families differed from the poor section? Is the answer of this question is hiding into a more broad and complex question of societal condition and political underdevelopment? Is it a question of city based growth of every aspect like health issues?Unfortunately the condition of this hospital was not satisfactorily good. Realizing that the Native Hospital was induced by gross medical in aptitudes, the contemporary rulers decided to found another hospital capable of admitting at least hundred more patients. Taylor established such a hospital in Dacca with two new out door dispensaries in 1839 with almost a solo initiative that succeeded at eclipsing the drawbacks of Native Hospital to some extent (Asaujjaman, 2004p.299). In this very important juncture of time,Government announced for the ‘Mitford Bequest Fund’ for East Bengal. Though initially there was no plan to utilize this fund for a hospital but later Governor General Lord Dalhousie (1848 – 1856)took this decision (Ahmad, 2007, p. 19).According to The Dacca News the amount of the grant of Robert Mitford was five to six Lacks of Indian Rupees. After a long debate regarding the proper utilization of the fund between the local elites, the Municipal Committee and in the official level, the Commissioner of Dacca finally sent all these proposals to the Governor General in 185137. In 1852, 4th October, Dalhousie took the historical decision to set up a hospital with more facilities, which according to him would be the best utilization of the fund for the native people of Dacca. In 1858, 31stMay Mitford Hospital was inaugurated with great joy in Dacca city. Dalhousie planned to situate a medical educational institution also in Mitford Hospital, so that some preliminary knowledge could be given to the local students. And this was the footing stone of Dacca Medical School which came into existence in 1875. In 1880s, the Bengal Government decided to hand over the duties concerning Mitford Hospital to Dacca Municipality. This act of transferring of duty had content concerning law and order.